Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Wake Up Call


More often than not I wake to the sound of my phone buzzing with a text. Today I groggily reach behind my pillow and grab my phone, to see who the well wisher is, and what their wish may be.
Blaine.
What are you doing right now?

I'm in bed, so I tell him as much. Why? I start to drift back off while waiting for a reply.

Do you have any? comes the response that jerks me back to awareness.

Any what? I ask in genuine confusion.

He calls me now and laughs gently at me when I pick up sleepily. Are you in possession of drugs right now? he says this slowly and clearly, as though he's talking to a particularly dim five year old.

No...Why would I be?

I'm coming over.

Suddenly he's knocking on my bedroom door and bounding into my little cell telling me to get

up!up!up!up!

We spend the rest of the morning chasing little dust bunnies(!) around the peripheries of my room because, or so he tells me, you can smoke them if you do it right.


*****************************************************
The image fades as I'm pulled into consciousness by the buzzing of my phone under my pillow.

I look at the screen.

It's Blaine.

What are you doing right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment